Monday, January 4, 2010

Vege fix


I have been craving vegies (Is this an oxomoron? Craving and vegies in a single sentence?lol) and my WDH has been cultivating his first vege patch and we are reaping the rewards from his hard work. Look at this yummy corn and capsicum freshly picked from our garden.
Last night we enjoyed this great recipe from the January edition of WW mag


Kumara, corn and bacon quiche
Serves 4 @ 5.5points per serve
1 medium kumara (sweet potato) cut into 2cm pieces
90g WW bacon finely chopped
2 green shallots, thinly sliced
2 x 125g can corn kernels ( I used fresh corn)
4 sheets filo pastry
50g reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
4 eggs
1/4 cup milk

1. Preheat oven to 190 degrees/170 for fan forced.
Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Arrange sweet potato in a single layer on prepared tray.
Spray with oil, bake for 30 mins or until tender. Cool.
2. Meanwhile, heat a medium oil-sprayed non-stick pan over med heat.
Add bacon, cook for 3 mins. Add shallots, cook for further 2 mins.
If using canned corn place on paper towels to remove excess moisture.
3. Spray a 20cm springform tin with oil and set aside.
Spray a sheet of filo with oil. Place another sheet on top of it at 90 degree angle and spray, then the next sheet at 45 degrees and spray. Layer remaining pastry in the same manner, but in the opposite direction.
4. Carefully ease pastry into prepared tin, folding the overhanging pastry into the side of the pan.
5. Fill the pastry shaell with kumara, bacon, corn and feta. Whisk eggs and milk, eseaon with black pepper and salt. Pour egg miture over filling.
6. Bake for 50 minutes or until set and golden brown.

I served it with my current favourite salad:

Grape tomato and bean salad
Serves 6 @ 1/2 point per serve
300g green beans, halved diagonally
150g yellow grape tomatoes, halved
150g red grape tomatoes, halved
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 tbs red wine vinegar
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp wholegrain mustard

1. Cook beans in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse under cold water.
2. Combine beans in a large bowl with tomatoes and onion.
3.Combine vinegar, oil and mustard in a small jug. Add dressing to salad, toss to combine.
This would make a great lunch for a picnic also. This may not be filling enough for everyone and you may want to add a potato cooked in its jacket perhaps. As I am going away tomorrow, I am saving points to counterbalance food I am not preparing myself and to allow myself a few treats. I was very interested to read this article http://www.stormpc.com/ww/wendie_plan.htm
as it is similar to what I have always done with my WW program and it has worked for me. I can see why WW say to eat all your points each day, this makes sense if you are hungry or not balancing your food nutritionally, however I have found when you are doing the program for life this makes sense for me. Interested to know what you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment